Is Your Mouth Showing Signs of Dental Erosion?
When’s the last time you thought about your teeth’s enamel? If the answer is “never,” now is the time to start! Enamel is the hard outer layer that protects the surface of your teeth. Keeping your enamel strong is essential to maintaining good oral health throughout your life. Once your enamel is worn away, your mouth’s overall well-being is put at risk, so it’s important to protect it as much as possible. Here’s what you need to know to make that happen.
Dental erosion takes place when your teeth’s enamel is removed by acids. Factors that contribute to the presence of acid in your mouth and erosion include:
- Acidic foods & drinks
- Gastrointestinal Problems
- Dry Mouth
Signs of Dental Erosion:
If your enamel is beginning to wear away, your mouth will tell you. Be on the lookout for these symptoms to determine if you may be suffering from dental erosion:
- Discolored teeth
- Teeth that are particularly round, appear whitewashed, or are translucent at the tips
- Cracked teeth
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food
Preventing Dental Erosion:
The best way to prevent dental erosion from stripping your teeth of their precious enamel is by thoughtfully choosing what to eat and drink. To keep your teeth in prime condition:
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks when possible.
- Drink water during and after meals.
- If you do consume acidic drinks, such as soda, use a straw.
- If you do consume acidic foods, do so during a meal to lessen their effects on your teeth.
- Wait 30 minutes after meals to brush your teeth.
If you believe that your mouth may be showing the early signs of dental erosion, don’t postpone visiting your dentist. Dental erosion will only get worse over time if left untreated, so the sooner you seek professional help, the better. The friendly dental team at Southwood Dental Studio can help properly diagnose enamel erosion and create an effective treatment plan for you if you’re experiencing it. Book your appointment today or visit us at our convenient London office!
-Dr. AgrawalAppointment Request