Protect Your Child’s Smile This Holiday Season
Instilling good oral hygiene habits is one of the most important life lessons a parent can give to their child. Caring for their teeth early will help ensure that their teeth stay healthy and beautiful for a lifetime. This can be difficult over the holidays, however. Here are some helpful tips to keep your little one’s mouth healthy over the holiday season.
- Replace Sugary Drinks With Water: Soda is the leading cause of tooth decay in children. To curb all the sweets they will surely be eating over the holidays, give them water to drink to help wash away excess sugar between brushing.
- Offer Healthy Snack Alternatives: Make festive treats that are healthy, such as reindeer made from cheese, nuts, and pretzels, in place of cookies and candy.
- Help Them Brush & Floss Twice a Day: Make sure they are still brushing and flossing thoroughly every day.
- Keep Dental Habits Positive: Praise them when they brush their teeth well on their own or make it fun by pretending to brush and floss their favourite doll’s teeth, too. Remind them that the dentist will be very impressed at their next check-up.
- Avoid Certain Foods: Hide particularly sticky or chewy foods that could easily get stuck in your child’s teeth and cause decay, such as caramel and toffee.
- Set a Good Example: Let your child see you taking good care of your own teeth every day. Explain to them the importance of keeping your smile healthy and strong.
- Visit the Dentist: The holidays may be a busy time of year, but it’s a great time to squeeze in a routine dental check-up and cleaning. Take advantage of school being out and give your child’s dentist a visit!
Making sure your child’s teeth stay strong and beautiful may seem like a daunting task, but a few small steps can make a big difference. To keep your little one smiling this holiday season and beyond, Southwood Dental Studio is here to help. Contact us in London today!Appointment Request